Get advice about health costs and services

This advice applies to England. See advice for See advice for Northern Ireland, See advice for Scotland, See advice for Wales

You might have to pay for some NHS services - others are free of charge.

If you need help with health costs

If you're on a low income you might be able to get help paying for NHS charges including:

  • prescriptions

  • dental treatment

  • sight tests, glasses and contact lenses

  • travel to NHS treatment

  • wigs and fabric supports

Check if you can get help with health costs on the NHS website

If you need advice about health services

You can get advice about health conditions and treatments on the NHS website.

There are independent organisations that can help you:

  • get advice about health and social care services

  • make a complaint about a health or social care service

Getting advice about mental health

Mind (National Association for Mental Health)

2 Redman Place


E20 1JQ

Helpline: 0300 123 3393,

Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm

Legal Advice Service: 0300 466 6463

Telephone (general enquiries): 020 8519 2122

Email (helpline):

Email (legal advice service):

Email (general enquiries):


Mind is a mental health charity that provides advice on:

  • managing your mental health

  • where to get help

  • medication

  • the law about mental health


Suite 11

Baden Place

Crosby Row



Free text line for young people: Text ‘YM’ to 85258

Parents Helpline: 0808 802 5544, 9.30am to 4pm Monday to Friday

Tel: 020 7089 5050

Fax: 020 7407 8887

Email (Parents Helpline):

Email (general enquiries):


Calls are free from mobiles and landlines.

YoungMinds is a mental health charity that helps children, young people and their parents.

Complaining about a health service

If you have a problem with an NHS service you should complain directly to them. You can find out how to make a complaint or give feedback on the NHS website.

You can get help making your complaint about an NHS service from Healthwatch - they’re an independent organisation not run by the NHS. You can find your local Healthwatch team on the Healthwatch website.

You can also tell the Care Quality Commission (CQC) about your concern with any care or health service. The CQC can inspect health services and make them improve. They can’t help you directly with your problem - for example, they can’t help you get compensation. The CQC is an independent organisation not run by the NHS.

Care Quality Commission (England)



Newcastle upon Tyne


Telephone: 0300 061 6161

Textphone Relay UK: 18001 03000 616161

Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm

Excluding bank holidays



Raising a concern about your employer

If you’re a member of staff at a care service you can report a concern on the CQC website.

Help us improve our website

Take 3 minutes to tell us if you found what you needed on our website. Your feedback will help us give millions of people the information they need.